Monday, April 16, 2012

Toyo-View 45G More Tinkering | Subject to Change

Well I tore down the rack and checked it out. Sorry, no detailed photos as I was thinking more about what I was doing than writing a blog page about it.

I found the rack on the post to the left in the above photo is the problem. Worn down so the pinion gear does not properly engage it and it slips, grind, grind. I intended to swap the posts front to back, but it turned out I could not get the front posts lose. I imagine it is a corrosion problem, but did not want to force any thing.

I swapped the the locks between the front and back standards, and swapped the pinions. The front undamaged locks turn out to have a top-hat shaped insert in them. The socket pushes it against the riser to give some resistance and the lock screws push them tighter to lock up the movement. If I get some nylon or other plastic I can easily machine replacements.

I have found that if I push the frame against that riser while making adjustments they work fairly smoothy. I may drill and tap a hole in the frame on the front and put a small nylon thumb screw in there to force the pinion agains the riser. That seems like the cheapest way of fixing that problem. The thumb screw would do the same thing as squeezing the frame against the riser does.

I am looking for a cheap lensboard, and if I do not find one in a week or so, I will have to order one at a higher price than I think is fair for  a lensboard for a camera that there is probably a hundred out there for every one who wants one. After all most of them were taken pretty good care of and now have been replace with digital cameras.

Above is an operator’s eye view of the camera. I have also been looking into repairing the bellows rather than buying a new one. Options seem to be tape, goop, or making a paper one. Don’t think paper won’t work, the factory bellows looks to be made of paper.

This entry was posted in Journal, Photography. Bookmark the permalink.

0 comments:

Post a Comment